Monday, April 21, 2008

Jeff Keppinger – 1 Fantasy Baseball Sleeper That’s Paying Off


Jeff Keppinger (shown left in this Upper Deck 2008 Series One baseball card) was supposed to be a short term band aide to prop up my middle infield. The injury to Alex Gonzalez opened the door for Keppinger to start the season as the Cincinnati Red’s starting short stop. In 2 leagues I drafted him as a bridge to Akinori Iwamura being able to qualify at middle infield.

He doesn’t offer a lot of home runs or stolen bases but he hit better than .330 at 4 minor league stints of 127 ABs or more and .332 in over 200 ABs last year in the big leagues. My thinking was that he was a filler that wouldn’t hurt. It turns our Gonzalez is out for another month and Keppinger has been playing great out of the 2 hole - .329 BA. I could see him going wire to wire for my fantasy baseball teams and challenge for a batting title with around 100 runs – my band aide looks like the solution. Just goes to show that some fantasy baseball sleepers pay off, just impossible to tell which ones.

Find Brandon Jeff Keppinger baseball cards and other gear on eBay - Shop Now!

No comments: