Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rickie Weeks - Breakout Coming in 2009!


With 4 partial disappointing seasons under his belt most fantasy baseball owners have all but given up on Rickie Weeks (pictured in 2003 Leaf rookie baseball card), the former #2 overall pick. I got off his bandwagon prior to last season but now that Rickie Week's value is at an all time low I'm back on. I think he makes a tremendous middle infield option in all leagues but especially deep leagues like the NFBC.

Over the past 4 years Rickie Weeks has battled injury and inconsistency. If you prorate his last three season averages you end up with a 20/30 guy. By no means am I guaranteeing that Rickie Weeks will finally turn in a 600 at bat season but if he can 20/30 with some serious upside from there is worth a late round pick. Weeks also turns 27 in September so he's at the right age too.

If Weeks puts it all together I think Brandon Philips is a great comp but at 120 picks later. And what about Howie Kendrick? He has yet to turn in a full season but after the nice batting average he only projects at about 10 home runs and stolen bases. In the mock drafts I've seen Weeks is coming in some 70 picks later. I'd rather assume the risk of Rickie Weeks on a speculative pick in later drafts.

Get autographed Rickie Weeks baseball cards on eBay - click here!

No comments: